Friday, July 8, 2011

Video Games as a Literacy Tool

I must admit, I was taken aback by the skepticism of our class in the ways video games could be used to develop adolescent literacy. This was especially puzzling in light of Rachel's testimony that she learned to overcome dyslexia through playing video games, and Sally's clear plea to understand students who struggle, not to mention your readings which represent a growing and convincing polemic on video games and literacy.

What surprised me was how your arguments against its use echo those others have raised against using film (passive, not suitable for the class, full of violence, doesn't seem to fit with curriculum). Yet, you have developed clear and convincing rationales for utilizing film in effective and meaningful ways. So, why do you find it difficult to do the same for video games which are really another visual storytelling device? Is it too difficult to look outside the school box to see its potential? Have you been convinced by the negative bashing of video games as a cause of violence in our society? In short, what's your hangup and what would it take to change your mind?

2 comments:

  1. A friend recommended me this video in terms of changing education paradigms.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDZFcDGpL4U

    After watching this, I think it would make more sense for video games ( a select few) to be used in education or even any other form of media. If schools remain the same as they do now, convincing others that they are educational is going to be more difficult.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel that my skepticism toward video games' usage in the classroom comes from the lack of time and resources. While I enjoyed reading the articles that supported this medium and feel that they proposed valid arguments, I feel as if it is too unrealistic to incorporate video games into today's classroom. Unless the demanding curriculums in our school loosen up and provide leeway, I cannot imagine where video games would fit in for instructional assistance.

    Rachael - I agree with your last statement that schools will have to change or it will be tough for video games to be included.

    With all of the budget cuts and limited technological ability at my school, I wouldn't be able to acquire video game software for my classroom. It would be pretty tough...

    ReplyDelete