Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Documentary Recommendations

Some of you expressed interest in the documentary I mentioned about 9/11 from children’s perspectives. The title and description is below, along with info on several other documentaries that I recently DVR’d.

- Ben

Through a Child’s Eyes: September 11, 2001 (HBO, 2003)

Description: Children of varying ages, religions, and backgrounds share their thoughts on a national tragedy

Citizen U.S.A.: A 50-State Road Trip (HBO, 2011)

Description: Newly naturalized citizens discuss why they chose America as their home.

I Have Tourette’s but Tourette’s Doesn’t Have Me (HBO, 2005)

Description: Children talk about growing up with Tourette’s syndrome.

I Can Do This but I Can’t Do That (HBO, 2010)

Description: A profile of children with learning differences

Triangle: Remembering the Fire (HBO, 2011)

Description: On March 25, 1911, a conflagration at the Triangle Shirtwaist Factory in New York kills 146 workers.

3 comments:

  1. Ben,

    These sound like great choices for the classroom! I have not seen any of them but would be interested in watching them based off the descriptions you included. I could see Citizen U.S.A.: A 50-State Road Trip used in an American history or literature class. The ones about learning differences and Tourette’s could probably be used in any classroom with any age group. I have noticed my students tend to fall into two categories: those who have learning disabilities and feel self-conscious about them at varying degrees, and those who don’t have learning disabilities but wonder why some of their classmates receive modified tests, activities, etc. (even when I make every effort to be discreet with students who need extra attention or help). It sounds like either of these documentaries would help raise awareness and make something taboo to discuss less taboo. I look forward to hearing more about them once you’ve seen them or watching them myself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've watched I Have Tourette’s… and I Can Do This… Both documentaries would be useful in educating students and teachers about various special needs. Amazingly, my undergraduate studies did not include a class on learning disabilities/differences. Needless to say, these docs really enlightened me about what learning support kids go through on a daily basis.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the recommendations!!!! I love me some docs.

    While we are sharing....

    Gasland
    Description: don't drink the water

    After Innocence
    Description: DNA frees wrongly convicted prisoners who've spent YEARS in prison

    Hot Coffee
    Description: Another reason to be educated citizens.

    ReplyDelete