Thursday, July 14, 2011

CopyRIGHT?

I was thinking a lot about our class discussion on Tuesday, specifically the concerns that arise with copyrighted materials and how confusion about them is affecting the quality of lessons. Not being a teacher myself, however, I must admit: it's sometimes hard to understand the constraints school districts put upon our teachers. I can't imagine someone asking me to do something... and not having what I needed in order to do it. These concerns were so apparent in our discussion, as a number of you noted that you are required to teach something, like a certain book, but are not given the proper supplies. One person noted there were only enough books for one class of students, one complete set---yet the book/teaching was a requirement for three different teachers. This seems like a common, sticky situation that's flat out unfair. You are torn between obeying copyright rules and pleading with the administration for more materials ... and breaking the rules, surreptitiously, and pleasing the administration. So what's the remedy?

I do agree with Dr. Shea that this would be the perfect time to get creative with lesson planning, perhaps using parts of a book, rotating usage, or using other materials (like films!) to teach the story. We now know that we have the tools to do lessons like these and they are possible.

But, on the flip side, this too can be difficult. To me this almost seems like another case of in theory vs. reality... Just like our video games that we'd love to somehow include into curriculum, in reality there are so many constraints upon teachers that make their doing job much harder than it needs to be.

5 comments:

  1. Great points Julie! I am fortunate enough at my school that while we don't necessarily have enough books for everyone, we aren't required to teach the same thing at the same time, so we as teachers can plan out who is using the books when. One of my coworkers this past year did decide to teach The Outsiders through use of the film only, which I thought was really neat. I didn't get much chance to talk to him about it at length, but it seemed like he was really having success. I agree, though, that it downright isn't fair. It is difficult being in that tough situation where you have to say, ok, I am going to quietly copy this even though I know I shouldn't.
    I enjoyed our discussion on Tuesday, and this is a matter I want to look into much more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was also very surprised to hear some of our teacher classmates say that they are not given enough textbooks or novels to do what is being asked of them. I am not sure if I was naive, but I definitely didn't think this was happening. Although, I cannot stress enough how disappointed I am that schools would do this to their teachers.

    I really liked the conversation in class because my copyright knowledge comes mainly from my time working in TV. So, when I read this book, I became a foggy on what I would end up doing in the classroom. Luckily, our classmates have been very helpful in these discussions, so I don't feel as confused anymore. Like Jenna said, I want to look into this more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am fortunate not to have been in the situation that some of you have been in, i.e. not being supplied with the resources which are necessary in order to teach what you’re required to teach. If that were to happen to me, I feel like I could express my opposition to my administrator about being forced to break copyright law. I think that I’m in a position where I could work out some sort of resolution with my administration which doesn’t result in criminal activity. However, I know everyone’s situations are different, as are their administrators, and in the case of having to do PSSA prep prior to the test, it’s not like you can wait and take your turn with certain materials until later in the year. I don’t know how some of you guys put up with it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Julie,
    Great points! I'm like the rest of these teachers-my school is pretty good at making sure that we get the resources that we need.
    In the past, if the school wouldn't provide me with books, I would just purchase the books myself. My school is unique in the sense that they don't necessarily require certain curriculum. We can write the curriculum/re-write if we want to, as long as we run it by the head of the department and have a purpose that aligns with standards.

    ReplyDelete