Monday, July 11, 2011

Copyright Clarity

I really learned lots from this book, although there are some ways in which I am more confused than before I read it. When I worked on my certification, I was actually taught 3 rules/guidelines for the use of copyrighted materials, particularly film. They made perfect sense to me, and were clear and easy to follow. 1) Use must tie into the curriculum/lesson--as opposed to entertainment 2) Movie must have been legally purchased or rented, not taped off the tv, 3) No money or admission can be charged, as in fund raising.
Clearly, it's a lot messier than that, but also a lot more interesting. One issue occurred to me, since my district has had to consider the possibility that, due to poor performance, some of our schools could eventually be run by for-profit business managers. Would fair use for educators be considered in a somewhat different light, more restrictively? If I'm reading the book correctly, this would definitely affect the reasonableness "good faith" standard, discussed on p. 59. To me, that's huge. It's something to consider as some political agendas are moving toward the privatization of schools.

2 comments:

  1. Sally, that's a really good point and something that didn't occur to me. I would hope that educators could still operate under the same general guidelines of fair use. It would seem completely unfair otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, good point, Sally!

    I am by no means an expert, but I would imagine that even if a for-profit organization ran a school, their rights in using copyrighted materials would be the same as ours; after all, they’d be using the materials for educational purposes just as we do.

    If you want a definitive answer, you might want to try RenĂ©e Hobbs’ wiki:

    http://copyrightconfusion.wikispaces.com/message/list/home

    ReplyDelete