Thursday, July 21, 2011

Video Games in the classroom

Today, I sat down with the new head of my department to discuss how I can better implement media literacy into my classroom and curriculum.

We talked for quite a bit about a lot of different things, but one thing that we discussed was video games in the classroom. I'll back-track (if I may) and explain that I feel like for the majority of the class, I re-evaluated how to approach using media in the classroom with the major concept of looking at the overall purpose for using the film/tv show/technology/etc. I've decided that many of the things that we talked about regarding video games were about looking at literary elements, in particular looking at plot, theme, conflict, setting, etc. All of these things can be achieved by using a film, so what is the ultimate purpose for using a video game? If one would use a video game in the classroom, would it be like using technology for technology's sake? If the same objective can be achieved and achieved as well by NOT using technology, then what is the purpose for using it? There is such a thing as using too much technology.   Another thing that I discovered while thinking about it more in depth was that using the opening story for a video game can be useful, but I don't think that using the actual video game is appropriate. Any thoughts?

2 comments:

  1. The important thing to consider in this conversation is the way the medium speaks to our students. Sure, you could achieve some of your same objectives using books or film or music and I hope you would but there are certain students who would be so engaged with your lessons simply because you used video games and entered into their worlds. They would see story like never before and use their knowledge of video games to create other rich narratives. That makes it so worth it.
    Think about Rachel's story and the ways video games helped her overcome dyslexia. She is not alone. I am convinced our schools are rapidly losing so many of our boys and I firmly believe that using video games is a solid entry into their world and a proven way to stop the literacy downward spiral.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Check out this link for a fresh take on this subject and a connection to YA literature: http://internspills.blogspot.com/2011/07/how-books-work-hunger-games-part-2.html

    ReplyDelete